President Trump pardons Lil Wayne; Kodak Black among several dozen others

Outgoing President Trump, in a flurry of final Presidential pardons, has pardoned Lil Wayne and Kodak Black

David Duggan, Managing Editor

Lil Wayne, also known as Dwayne Michael Carter Jr., pleaded guilty to illegal gun possession in December 2020 and was facing up to ten years in federal prison. Carter offered his public support to the President during the final days of the 2020 election. 

Embed from Getty Images

Kayleigh McEnany, White House Press Secretary, said in a statement:

“President Trump granted a full pardon to Dwayne Michael Carter Jr., also known as ‘Lil Wayne. Mr. Carter pled guilty to possession of a firearm and ammunition by a convicted felon, owing to a conviction over 10 years ago. Brett Berish of Sovereign Brands, who supports a pardon for Mr. Carter, describes him as ‘trustworthy, kind-hearted and generous.’ Mr. Carter has exhibited this generosity through a commitment to a variety of charities, including donations to research hospitals and a host of foodbanks. Deion Sanders, who also wrote in support of this pardon, calls Mr. Wayne ‘a provider for his family, a friend to many, a man of faith, a natural giver to the less fortunate, a waymaker, [and] a game-changer.'”

The President also pardoned Kodak Black, also known as Bill Kapri, who was sentenced to three years in prison in 2019 after making false written statements to acquire firearms. 

Embed from Getty Images

McEnany’s statement read:

“Kodak Black is a prominent artist and community leader. He has served nearly half of his sentence. Before his conviction and after reaching success as a recording artist, Kodak Black became deeply involved in numerous philanthropic efforts. In fact, he has committed to supporting a variety of charitable efforts, such as providing educational resources to students and families of fallen law enforcement officers and the underprivileged. In addition to these efforts, he has paid for the notebooks of school children, provided funding and supplies to daycare centers, provided food for the hungry, and annually provides for underprivileged children during Christmas. Most recently while still incarcerated, Kodak Black donated $50,000 to David Portnoy’s Barstool Fund, which provides funds to small businesses affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Kodak Black’s only request was that his donation go toward restaurants in his hometown.”

Former White House Chief Strategist Stephen Bannon, who was indicted in August for allegedly stealing one million dollars from a “Build the Wall” donation fund, was also among those who received a pardon.

Embed from Getty Images

Notably absent from the list of those pardoned was President Trump himself or any of his family members as well as Rudy Giuliani. The NY Times reported Trump was considering a pardon for himself and a preemptive pardon for his children, but these pardons never materialized.

It is worth noting Trump still wields the power of pardons until noon today.

Click here for a full list of pardons.