It’s World Health Day: how do I Celebrate?

Why is April 7 special?

Rachel Fleagle, Section Editor

Sacred holidays such as Easter and fun holidays like April Fool’s day stand out during the month. But do you know why April 7 is special?

The World Health Organization chose April 7 as World Health Day – and according to their website, they’ve celebrated it since 1950. This makes today the 71st official celebration.

The WHO explains that it all began in 1948 with “its inception at the First Health Assembly….and since taking effect in 1950, the celebration has aimed to create awareness to highlight a priority area of concern for the World Health Organization.”

This year’s special focus is “calling for action to eliminate health inequities, as part of a year-long global campaign to bring people together to build a fairer, healthier world.”

World Health Day is also a reminder to live healthy – mentally, physically, emotionally.  In celebration and recognition of this day, here are a few things to keep in mind:

1.   HACC students have access to free counseling through the College’s partnership with Mazzatti and Sullivan. HACC’s page explains students have access to “up to three counseling sessions per semester.”

2.  Want to grow your knowledge about health? HACC offers several health electives, including ‘Introduction to Wellness,’ ‘Healthful Living,’  and ‘Approaches to Stress Management.’

3.  You can also get moving with HACC’s Physical Education courses –  Basic Fitness, Golf, Self Defense, and Fitness Walking and Resistance Training, among others.

4. Don’t forget that healthy living isn’t just about how ‘good’ a food is, but how long it’s good for! With Easter just a few days ago, many of you may have leftover ham, deviled eggs, and potato salad begging to be eaten. Is it safe?  Check out the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s articles about handling ham, eggs, and cooked potatoes.

5.  Take a hike! Warm spring and summer weather is approaching, and Pennsylvania has numerous parks and hiking trails to explore. The interactive site All Trails offers an extensive list.

How are you celebrating World Health Day?  Let us know in the comments below!