Top 5 ways to start off the semester strong

Coming back to classes after the break can be difficult. Here’s 5 ideas to consider this semester.

Jess Staley, Features Editor

It’s a new year, a new semester: perfect time to establish new goals and accomplish. Ready, set, go, right?

Experts advise taking a moment and making a plan en route to those goals. After all, good habits are the building blocks of success. Here’s HawkEye’s Top 5 list to get started.

1. Remember what’s best  about a new semester: it’s a fresh start. Forget about that difficult class from last semester, or one that didn’t end so well and start over. Getting a new planner is helpful in having a productive start; new notebooks, highlighters, or even nice pens could help boost that motivation. 

2. Avoid creating stress about things that haven’t happened yet. I know all too well the feeling of impending doom before classes start. Thoughts like “I wonder how hard the assignments will be,” “Math is my worst subject, how will I do well in the course,” or “I have no idea how I will balance all of my responsibilities” are setting a future filled with more stress. These are all valid concerns, but you have no idea how things will play out. Worrying about something that is potentially out of your control or is in the future is not productive.

3. Being positive is always a good idea. I struggle with math, so needless to say I was not excited about taking a math course this semester. I immediately thought the worse, until I started looking at the situation differently. Just because you struggled in a subject previously doesn’t mean you are set up for failure forever. Going into something with a different mindset will make you realize that you have no idea how things will play out. You are learning new material from a new teacher, you may find that you actually enjoy the topic and could succeed in it. 

4. Learning is amazing. We have such a privilege to be able to learn as much as we do. Everything that comes along with getting an education is hard and sometimes scary. Having a new routine, meeting new people, putting yourself out there all come along with it. This all ultimately gives us new experiences and helps us grow. 

5. Know when to take breaks. When you get stressed, put your mental health first and take  a break. Getting enough sleep and taking care of yourself is also important, it’s difficult to focus on academics when your physical health is being compromised. If you are ever struggling mentally, you can reach out to your professors for guidance, they want you to succeed but they also prioritize your mental and physical health over anything. 

Nearly every academic institution offers study tips, mental health advice and even student activities to help students balance life, responsibilities, and the books. See Calendar  for events and Advising to keep yourself on track, and Career Services to stay inspired.

Good Luck!