SGA Spotlight: Shining a light on student leaders

Daygiaque Charles, Vice President of Finance at HACC-Harrisburg

Daygiaque Charles poses with her family

Student government aims to highlight the accomplishments of HACC students who take on extracurricular commitments while pursuing their education. This month, Daygiaque Charles, our Vice President of Finance at the Harrisburg campus, shares her HACC experience in her own words.

Tell us about yourself

I am Daygiaque Charles, a freshman at HACC pursuing my Associate in Applied Science in Business. I am also a mother of three small children, a wife, and a small business owner. Adding college to my schedule seemed scary, but HACC’s awesome advising, bookstore, and financial aid departments have been so helpful along the way that I am excelling in college.

What did you expect when you came to HACC?

HACC has opened many doors for me virtually that I didn’t know I would be able to get from a college. My expectations for virtual college were low because I got my high school diploma virtually on my own and it was a hectic experience without an instructor in front of me to help me get through the class.

Do any particular positive experiences at HACC stand out that you care to share?

With HACC, I have been given so many resources to help me succeed. Just one small example of how helpful HACC departments have been: Recently, I purchased two of the wrong books for a math class. After emailing the bookstore I was able to get a full refund on both books.

Have any specific professors contributed to your success or helped you succeed?

The professors that I have had the delight to have at HACC have been awesome. Assistant Professor Richard Cordaro teaches Business 101. He understood the crazy dynamics that college students deal with. He always replied to any emails or schoolwork with positivity and uplifting words. He was supportive and understanding on the occasions that I fell behind. I finished the semester with an “A” thanks to this awesome professor.

What are your plans after HACC?

My dreams are to be the best me, and HACC has given me the platform to do that. I am very grateful. After graduating from HACC, I hope to open a nonprofit to help young kids and adults who need support due to homelessness or recently coming out of jail.

************

Spotlight is an occasional column appearing in HawkEye Media and is a collaboration between SGA and HawkEye. Students featured have given their permission to appear in Spotlight.