Art Museum Features Female Artists For International Women’s Day

Explore a virtual art exhibit of Latin American female artists

Jess Staley, Features Editor

In appreciation of International Women’s Day, observed on March 8,  HACC’s Student Involvement hosted an event featuring the Museum of Latin American Art, located in Long Beach, California. The event featured a tour of a virtual art exhibit called HERland: Women Artists in the MOLAA Collection. The museum defines HERland as “a poetic map full of beauty but also of persistence and self confidence. A journey that enables us to connect with the matrix of female creation with outstanding artists of our time.” 

The collection features pieces by Latina and Latin American female artists. The exhibit includes works from 44 artists from 13 different countries. Some works delve into the symbol of sisterhood, some depictions are in the categories of biological sisters, cultural sisters, and community of sisters. One of the hosts of the event, Holly Farris, recommended looking through the exhibit as if it were a scavenger hunt, searching for symbols of sisterhood in the pieces and trying to understand what the artist is trying to convey through the art. 

Landscape with two floating hemispheres, by Ofelia Rodriguez

The piece is in the surrealist movement, Rodriguez uses semi- abstract forms, and out of place objects in her works. Although we are unsure of what the artist is depicting, it is assumed that the figure in the middle is a body part, possibly a female breast. The two green structures at the bottom have been seen as fallopian tubes of the reproductive system. The piece is tied together with the two large juxtaposed photos of parts of hemispheres. This is possibly the artist’s attempt to metaphorically connect the parts of a human body to different cultures.

Mouth with Nails, by Tania Bruguera

Bruguera uses the nails as a symbol of her protest against the Cuban government for censorship of artists and political violence. The literal and physical sharpness of protest is seen through the use of nails seemingly silencing the figure shown

Broken, by Patssi Valdez

Valdez is known for her surrealist pieces: she uses bright colors and surreal themes to create pieces in a dream-like look. This piece includes a self-portrait, with a chaotic scene around her. She uses broken plates and glasses, and the red throughout to symbolize anger, conflict, and distress going on in the artist’s life.