Women’s Footprint in History: A Look Back

Celebrating Women’s History month by honoring their contributions to society

Jess Staley, Features Editor

We all know a woman who has impacted our lives. Maybe it’s your mother, grandmother, teacher, friend – really any loved one who has given you an appreciation for women and all that they do or have done for us. 

Throughout history, we see the contributions of women play out in many ways. They may have impacted the world politically, socially, technologically. One thing they have in common is their role in breaking gender norms and stereotypes of what it means to be a woman. The narrative of the traditional role of a woman has changed drastically due to these pioneers. Without them, women would lack a voice, a sense of unity, the strength to follow their dreams, to think limitlessly, and stand up for themselves.

Susan B. Anthony is one of these inspiring women. She was one of the leaders of the women’s suffrage movement who believed that everyone was equal. She held the first Women’s Rights Convention, which sparked the movement. Anthony formed a group that would go on to fight for women’s rights for 50 years. She gave speeches while they traveled, fighting to gain  their right to vote. Anthony died before the granting of the 19th Amendment, giving women the right to vote.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg was the second woman to be appointed Supreme Court Justice. She was also co-founder of the Women’s Rights Project at the American Civil Liberties Union. While in law school, she was only one out of 9 female students in her class. She was treated differently than her male peers and had to defend her place in the class as a woman. She struggled to find a job after she graduated due to her gender, but eventually went on to clerk for U.S. District Judge Edmund L. Palmieri, teaching for Rutgers University Law School, and becoming the first tenured female professor at Columbia. With the ACLU, she argued major cases for gender equality. When she was appointed as a judge, she made waves by making it known that women have a space in law the same ways that men do.

Although sports are seen as male dominated, women have made massive strides throughout history to bridge the gap between what it means to be an athlete, making sports for everyone, not just men.

Serena Williams is one of those women. Williams is as a talented Tennis player known for smashing it on the court. She has won 23 Grand Slam Singles titles, 4 Olympic gold medals, the list goes on of her athletic accomplishments. 

Off the court, she stands for equality, speaking out for equal pay among men and women. Interestingly enough, Williams was in a Michelob Ultra Super Bowl commercial this year. She made an appearance as a bowler, with a dramatic entrance, featuring many famous male athletes, making a statement that she can be a strong player as well. Williams also stands for women of color, supporting and investing in 30 businesses and entrepreneurs.

The next HACC event celebrating Women’s History month includes an ongoing tour: The Women of NASA

Explore this online exhibit provided by the National Women’s History Museum and learn about women who have played an essential role in the functions of NASA for almost a century, sponsored by National Women’s History Museum. To enroll, visit this Link: https://www.womenshistory.org/exhibits/women-nasa

For information on other events during Women’s History Month, visit the HACC Events Calendar.