Spotlight: His plan is to ‘network’ for the common good

The Student Government Association (SGA) aims to highlight the accomplishments of students at HACC who take on extracurricular commitments while pursuing their education. Each month, we ask members of the HACC student community to share about their experiences at HACC in their own words. This month, we sat down with Myles MacKenzie, SGA VP of Student Involvement & Advocacy.

Tell us about yourself

My name is Myles MacKenzie. I am a sophomore studying computer networking. I have plans to graduate this spring. When I am not in Zoom meetings or classes, you can catch me listening to music, reading, or hiking any chance I get! I work for HACC’s Student Government Association (SGA) as the VP of Student Involvement & Advocacy at the Harrisburg campus. I also help run the LGBTQ+ Student Union (LSU) and volunteer with the LGBTQ+ Center of Central PA.

What did you expect when you came to HACC?  

I took a gap year after graduating from high school and was excited to get to be on a college campus and interact with classmates and other students. Staring during the pandemic was definitely challenging, as I was entering into a hands-on major fully online. I was able to make some meaningful connections in Zoom classes, but when my program returned to in-person classes last semester, I was thrilled. I quickly found that HACC provides many events for students, including one that I partake in frequently – our monthly book club!

Have you had any particular positive experiences you can share? 

Every time I am on Harrisburg’s campus, I stop by the Chef’s Apprentice to grab breakfast food. I am always greeted with the warmth and kindness of the staff, and I always look forward to going back. Not to mention, they make amazing omelets and hash browns!

Are there any specific individuals at HACC who have helped you succeed? 

There are three specific individuals I want to highlight who have helped me succeed. The first is Doug Brown, my Computer Networking Technology professor who taught multiple of my first year classes. Professor Brown went above and beyond to provide additional resources, make classes enjoyable with fun Zoom backgrounds, and give me a jump into the computer networking and IT field. With his guidance, I was able to land an important internship this summer. The other individuals I want to mention are Professor Sarah Lupinacci and Dr. Sarah Jacobson. I will constantly hold the life lessons that I took from both instructors and the welcoming and empathetic environments they constantly provided.

What are your plans after HACC? 

After HACC, I plan to seek out an internship working for a human-rights-based nonprofit organization. I want to combine my computer networking and IT technical knowledge and skills with my passion for advocacy. I would love to eventually work for an organization such as the Trevor Project, the Southern Poverty Law Center, or the National Center for Transgender Equality.

Spotlight is an occasional column appearing in HawkEye Media and is a collaboration between SGA and HawkEye. Students featured have given their permission to appear in Spotlight.