Hershey Theatre To Announce 2022 Apollo Award Musical Nominees

Eight Musical Categories to be Honored in Theatre Season

Caleb Steindel, News Editor/Staff Writer

Spring musical season may be over for the vast majority of Central Pennsylvania high schools, but for many young thespians, the most highly anticipated theatrical event of the season has yet to take place.

On Tuesday, April 26, The Hershey Theatre Apollo Awards organization will announce its musical nominees for the 2022 spring season. Modeled after Broadway’s Tony Awards, the Apollo Awards honors local high school thespians from Cumberland, Dauphin, Lebanon, Perry, and Lancaster Counties by annually recognizing the most outstanding performances.

Nominations in eight musical categories will be posted on the Hershey Theatre Apollo Awards Facebook page at 4 p.m. on April 26. Categories include:

• Outstanding Musical
  • Outstanding Dance Number
  • Outstanding Lead Actor/Actress
  • Outstanding Supporting Actor/Actress
  • Outstanding Featured Performer and
  • Outstanding Student Orchestra

The ceremony itself will take place at the Hershey Theatre on Sunday, May 22, and feature live performances from the area’s nominated high school actors.

In each of the last two years, the live Apollo Awards event was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but winners were still announced online in 2021, with Camp Hill High School scoring victories in nearly every category for their performance of Urinetown. This year marks the 14th anniversary of the Apollo Awards’ existence, but the first live awards ceremony since 2019.

The organization has existed since 2008 to recognize the outstanding achievements of local high school students in their musical and play production, according to the Apollo Awards’ website. The program is presented and produced by the Hershey Theatre Education Department and has given away $220,000 in scholarships, primarily due to individual donations.

The Apollo Award nominations honoring plays were released back in February as play season typically takes place in the fall. Plays also will be honored in tandem with musicals at the ceremony on May 22.

When released, musical nominations can be seen on the Hershey Theatre Apollo Awards Facebook page, found here.

Tickets to the Apollo Awards start at approximately $12 and can be purchased here.

For more information about the organization and ceremony, visit the Hershey Theatre Apollo Awards website.