New at Rose Lehrman Gallery: Jeffery Moser & Tracks Exhibition

Review: Introducing HawkEye’s featured Artist of the Week

Digital video works of art by internationally known artist Jeffrey Moser are displayed in the Rose Lehrman Art Gallery.

Image Courtesy of Jeffrey Moser

Naajia Ali, Staff Cartoonist

Internationally known Jeffrey Moser is a visual media artist, professor at West Virginia University, and founder of the interactive. His work duplicates images and videos and puts them next to each other, making a unified piece one unified piece.

He discussed his digital video work on a Zoom lecture, introducing his exhibit, Tracks, in the Rose Lehrman Gallery,

He began creating his art style when he was a student at the University of Delaware. His exhibit, Tracks, take visual media to the next level, with images commissioned over 10 years. The Tracks exhibition shows movie images from a broader perspective. It came about when Moser was lying down on his bed, thinking about the train that passes his apartment every day. He said he would wonder what it would be like if he could see all of the trains simultaneously. Moser says he started taking an interest in video media. He duplicated the same video, matched up the timing, and put the videos beside each other.

He continues to create progress in his art style, making hundreds of images of videos and frames from films. Today, he’s continued to progress in his work and is now teaching others as a professor at the university.

His exhibit, Tracks, takes visual media to the next level. The exhibition consists of pieces of video and images stretched out to get a full view of the scenes he captures. The photos have a distorted and exciting look to them. Like the piece “Berlin loop,” these images take viewers on a journey, the way the looping images keep you engaged with the piece. The more you look at it, the more you see things in the picture you never have before. His work keeps you intrigued with every moment of witnessing them.

Shawn Williams, HACC Art Coordinator, introduced Moser to the campus community, noting that Moser’s research includes creating three visual databases of light, rhythm and color sequence in films, video games and music videos. The databases display every frame of a video simultaneously, creating a timeline of a film, video game or music video.

Find these databases hosted on The Research Repository @ WVU.