How to Make the Transfer Transition with Ease

Top Tips to Land Well in Fall 2022

Erin Eppig, Promotions Manager

With our spring 2022 semester coming to a close and summer just around the corner, it might feel like a good time to plan a relaxing summer … but for those planning to graduate from HACC on May 10 or transfer in fall 2022, maybe not so much.

To make sure the transfer process goes smoothly, here’s a to-do checklist to ensure the process goes smoothly in the fall. Transferring to a four-year university can be a stressful and confusing process. It’s a new vocabulary, to start.

Hopefully this checklist will help to keep you on task over the summer months.

Register for classes

Registering for classes may not seem like your biggest priority, but it should be. At most colleges, current students get priority registration and sometimes the class selection is limited. Some classes might only be offered once every four semesters, yikes! Be sure to coordinate with your transfer advisor to select the classes you will need to graduate on time. Also, be sure to take note of the time and date that transfer students can begin registering for classes. You will want to register as soon as possible to be sure you can get into the classes you need.

Schedule regular check-ins with your transfer advisor

It’s important to keep in contact with your transfer advisor to make sure you are keeping on top of the all the deadlines and paperwork you need to submit. It can be really difficult to keep track of everything, so be sure to utilize your transfer advisor. Also, be sure to ask them any questions you might have. It might be helpful to dedicate a notebook or section of your planner to keeping track of your questions as you think of them, that way you will have a list handy for your next email or phone check-in.

Apply to scholarships

Take advantage of any free time you have this summer and apply to some scholarships. There are plenty of online resources to help you find scholarships you are eligible for. Your transfer school could also be a great resource as many schools have lists of outside scholarships posted on their website. It’s typically recommended to apply to a combination of national and local scholarships. Applying to scholarships can sometimes feel like a long shot, but even if you aren’t awarded any scholarships, you will have definitely improved your writing skills from writing all those essays.

Consider taking a CLEP test (or two!)

CLEP tests are exams administered by The College Board, the same organization who administers the SATs and AP. Currently, 34 CLEP tests are available that can earn you college credit. It is important to check with a transfer advisor to see if your transfer institution accepts CLEP tests and if you could use CLEP tests to satisfy any requirements. A lot of colleges will only accept 30 credits earned by CLEP, but occasionally it’s more or less, so be sure to check. It’s also important to note that each college determines which score is considered a passing score. These exams do cost a fee, but could end up saving time and money in the long run.

For more information, visit HACC’s advising office for a host of resources. For HACC students not quite ready to transfer, many resources are available to help you prepare for the future.